Rocky Mountain Fisher House:
The Rocky Mountain Fisher House is a nine-suite “home away from home” that provides a place for visiting families to stay, free of charge, while their loved one receives inpatient medical care at the Denver VA Medical Center/Eastern Colorado Healthcare System. The house is beautifully furnished and features a shared, fully equipped kitchen, laundry room, dining room, living room and sunroom. Our bedroom suites all have private bathrooms for your comfort. We provide basic kitchen staples including milk, bread, eggs, butter, cereal, and water. The house is also well stocked with snack items, but guests are generally responsible for providing their own meals. However, there are wonderful community support groups that bring dinner to the house for all the guests to enjoy two to three times a week.
Why is the Rocky Mountain Fisher House so special and different from a hotel?
It is truly a home away from home. Here you will find all the comforts of a home including cable TV, DVD’s, a daily newspaper and WiFi. Yet, beyond the beauty and comfort of the house, you will also meet other families going through similar situations. These families also have a loved one in the hospital and are dealing with the fears and uncertainties that a hospitalization entails. At the Rocky Mountain Fisher House, we strive to provide a safe, healing environment where family members can support one another after spending a long day with their loved one in the hospital. Time and time again we see fearful family members check-in only to find comfort and support in another guest who has been here either a few days or a few weeks. This is why the Rocky Mountain Fisher House is so special. These families create an informal support system caring for one another and sharing their similar experiences.
Office Hours and Check-In:
- Rocky Mountain Fisher House office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- The house is not staffed on evenings, weekends, or Federal holidays.
- Check-in is between 10am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
- After hours and weekend check-in must be prearranged with the Fisher House Manager during normal business hours.
Location and Transportation to the VA:
- The Rocky Mountain Fisher House is located six miles east of the Denver VA Medical Center.
- It is about a 15 to 20 minute drive, depending on traffic.
- Many guests can get a ride from another family in the house.
- Rocky Mountain Fisher House has a contract with a local taxi company and we can arrange for you to travel between the house and the hospital via taxi (on us).
- Unfortunately we cannot provide transportation from the airport.